Saturday, March 19, 2011

Divorced Wife Benefits

Janet From Alaska writes:
My ex husband has been disabled since 2004 and I was married to him for 18 yrs. I am on ssi supplementary income also. At what age would I be able to get his ssi.? I was born in 1961. Thanks

ANSWER: You will never get “his SSI” because that is a federal welfare program for the aged, blind and disabled who are in need. You are already receiving SSI youself. You are probably thinking of divorced wife's benefits on your ex-husband's account. You will be eligible for these benefits at age 62, if your ex is eligible for social security benefits on his work record. Should he die before you, you may be eligible for surviving divorced wife's benefits at age 60, or at age 50 if you are totally disabled at that time, and if you are not remarried.

No comments: