Sunday, February 24, 2008

Divorce & Children's Benefits

If a disabled parent is receiving monthly checks for minor children and they become divorced and the children remain with the other parent, do the children still receive the monthly benefit or does it stop? What if the Court orders it to be paid to the custodial parent--is that possible?-- Charlotte from Florida

ANSWER: The children's benefits continue. The custodial parent will most likely be the Representative Payee for their social security benefits. The state court will not be able to order the federal agency who to pay, but the SSA will pay the parent who the court orders to have custody.

No comments: